The Igloo

The Igloo (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/index.php)
-   Damien Rice (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   New Tour (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10770)

Mankman 06-24-2006 12:58 PM

New Tour

Damo played the first gig of his tour last night, right? Did anybody here go? What songs did he do? What was it like without Lisa?

Wheels 06-24-2006 01:51 PM

Yeah and did he mention or play anything from the new album??? Someone must know something...

Timeé 06-24-2006 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wheels
Yeah and did he mention or play anything from the new album??? Someone must know something...

its not new until its out there

Closing_Doors 06-24-2006 02:36 PM

http://www.damienrice.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7547

carvinC980t_kid 06-24-2006 03:02 PM

well, from the set list it looks like damien is going to be playing the same music for the rest of his life. i'm bummed. if he isnt going to have 2 essential members that make his music what it is then i feel he should have atleast made up for it by something new. besides, what better time to introduce new music that may not contain as much lisa then on tour without her since she is normally on tour. i'm bummed. i hope he does something different, but i must admit...

i have my doubts about damien EVER making a new album. he just doesn't care

carvinC980t_kid 06-24-2006 03:23 PM

gosh, that is depressing knowing nothing new is out on this tour. if nothing is out on ths tour then there won't be.

could it be damien has smoked himself to the point of a burnout?

SisterMidnight 06-24-2006 03:48 PM

i don't think so carvin :rolleyes:

here's my viewpoint - i see this as a 'warm-up' tour with fiona, and to be honest damien hasn't reached that large of a market in the u.s. and touring with fiona gives him that opportunity.. it only makes sense that he would use some of his older material because the songs are very strong and eloquent and not everybody has heard them.. it's like he's reintroducing himself in a way..

and actually rootless tree and accidental babies are new songs (we've only heard them because of live recordings and they've only been played a handful of times if you think about it) so i think those two songs are the in the running for being on the new album.. which i believe will be released soon (possibly this fall) then i think a solo tour venture will most likely follow shortly thereafter.. yes i'm still hopeful ;)

of course this is all opinion and conjecture on my part..

cille 06-24-2006 03:53 PM

did he play 'little sister' without juniper before? (assuming the author of the review isn't mistaking it with 'baby sister')

carvinC980t_kid 06-24-2006 06:42 PM

yes, i understand what you are says Sistermidnight, but i can't help but think that he already has enough of a fan base here for his own tour if he wanted. he is lucky to be playing such big venues, but i can't help but think after reading and watching interviews from him that he really couldn't give a sh*t about making a new album. i just don't think he really cares enough to make one. if you want to get people involved and "re-introduce yourself" then there needs to be something different. some old and some new. he's been around long enough that its past time to "re-introduce yourself" and time to re-invent yourself. since he isn't on tour with lisa and tomo, who are a large part of what he is, its time to break loose. if you are going to bring back all the old stuff i think you should bring back what makes that music so good. i wouldn't like a good amount of the stuff if it weren't for lisa. so, if you are going to leave them and are in the makings of a new cd. then you should get yourself a head start. not wait and put it off even more. besides, if you are opening up yourself to even more fans because of Fiona then it would be good to have more material. it gives the listener more to listen to which then gives them a wider varity and means a better chance of them finding more songs they like. all of which results in more fans, more money (not that he cares about the $$), which leads to more shows, and bigger venues.

he's due. i think not doing it is hurting his carear by leavning less options open due to less music. i know i will prolly not pay over 100 dollars next year just to see the same songs... especially if lisa isn't going to be there. if i would have know two essential members weren't going to be there i would have still gone, but i wouldn't have paid for as good of seats. HELL, if he WAS doing new stuff and/or had lisa and tomo i'd be going not only to the indiana show, but to the chicago illionis show the next day.

Closing_Doors 06-24-2006 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cille
did he play 'little sister' without juniper before? (assuming the author of the review isn't mistaking it with 'baby sister')

I'd be surprised if it wasn't a mistake on the poster's part.

cille 06-24-2006 08:12 PM

it'd be interesting, although i do prefer baby- to little sis

GlttrGrrl 06-24-2006 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SisterMidnight
actually rootless tree and accidental babies are new songs

Considering I first heard Rootless Tree on tour two years ago, I don't consider it a new song...

I'm going to the show tonight, tomorrow and on Monday, I at least I will see something new...Fiona's live show. Wonder what he'll do on Monday when it's just him on the bill.

Gatsby 06-24-2006 09:37 PM

carvin i disagree with almost everything you said.. im not going to quote and nitpick what it is i disagree with

damien released his first album in 2002 in ireland. ive seen him at least 20 + times since that, i dont complain as he is incredible live.

I see this tour as a chance to get his music more widely known and hit a new marketplace in the us. To be honest how long have you had to put up with his old stuff? & how many tours has he done in america? not that many.
i say fair play.. make your moneys worth and your fanbase and then hit when the time is right

however, if he plays electric picnic with his old stuff there will be war..
most people are unhappy himself and the frames are on the lineup as it is somewhat an indie/underground festival. but to churn out songs released on an album over 4 and a half years ago wouldnt go down too well

Mankman 06-24-2006 09:44 PM

I think as the tour goes on he'll play more "new" songs on certain nights, and less on other nights. Damien always plays songs on the spur of the moment, theres never really a proper setlist. Maybe last night he just plain didnt feel like it.

Spamlet 06-24-2006 10:08 PM

Sista's right.

The only thing that surprised me is that he deviated THAT much from "O". Only five songs out of ten is a very hopeful ratio. The sad fact is that the average American still has no idea who Damien Rice is. He's not James "I'm-a- talentless-hack-who's-living-proof-that-mediocrity-or-lower-will-sell- gazillions" Blunt (thank the Christ) and I honestly don't believe he's ever actually even cracked our top 20 here. So the ones who do know who he is based on radio/video play are probably only familiar with "BD" and possibly "Cannonball" or much less likely "Volcano". The majority of the ones who actually have bought "O" probably only did so after "Closer" came out and that was after his last American tour. Therefore, in terms of America, the majority of Damo's casual fans have probably never even seen him play in concert. He's nowhere near the point where he can sell the size stadiums that he's playing w/Fiona. After this tour, though, there's a good chance he finally will be.

Personally, I've never seen a better live performer (both times!!!) in well over two decades of concert-going so if I could (alas Atlanta was a false alarm) I'd go and see him no matter what songs he played! Being a fan means being patient and not giving up even when all hope seems lost (what can I say? I grew up in Cleveland, OH as a sports fan during the 70's-90's)

Lastly, keep in mind Damo always switches out a few songs almost every night in his setlist. The fact that he's included 'Rootless Tree" on the very first night is a clear indication that he's not afraid to shake up audience expectations of always being thought of as a writer of sad, quiet ballads. I'd bet you'll be finding that he's playing the bulk of non-O stuff by the end of this tour and that includes a few we've never or nearly never heard. Also don't forget he'll be headlining those Canadian shows and I can guarantee that those set lists won't just be "O" redux!

SisterMidnight 06-25-2006 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Revelate
however, if he plays electric picnic with his old stuff there will be war..
most people are unhappy himself and the frames are on the lineup as it is somewhat an indie/underground festival. but to churn out songs released on an album over 4 and a half years ago wouldnt go down too well

which is why i think THAT is going to be the show to be at :smiley16:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spamlet
Sista's right.

thank you

i think you're right on the money too.. and not just because you agree with me :smiley2:

carvinC980t_kid 06-25-2006 03:26 AM

i think it is wrong though to think that damien is holding out to "bulid a bigger fan base" because he doesn't care about that or money. i read several things in which he has stated that they don't matter to him. he writes it for him. i really doubt he is doing things this way for anyone but himself. i'd say he is more popular here then james blunt that is for sure! i've never meet anyone who likes him. i've been listening to damien since the summer before i was freshmen and i'm a senior now. so when was that? 2002 or 2003? at the time i knew prolly 3 people who had heard of him and we didn't know anyone else who liked him. he has a large enough of a fan base to be able to be playing large shows with fiona so he obiviously is large enough to come out with a new cd. he isn't getting more popularity because he isn't do anything different. i think its just time. he isn't moving places because he isn't progressing and giving people a reason to be like "oh hey a new song by who? i like this! i should check out the rest!"

also, i think as far as tour wise goes. i think if he is going to play new stuff he should do it at all of the shows. if he is going to premire stuff and he is doing this to "get himself out there" then why wouldn't he do it at every show?

i love damien. love his music. prepared to love his shows, but hoestly i think he isn't changing things because he JUST DOESN'T CARE!!! he is happy with what he has and he does it all on his own plan which is why he is doing this. if he was really intrested in getting himself out more he would have had the record out before the tour... not release it half way through or something like that.

i really don't think playing with fiona will make him be able to sell out huge places like he is playing. some of the places out west, but not the rest. if bands like DMB and other really big bands that come here where i live can't sell out there is no way damien will be able to just from going on tour with fiona. she isn't big enough to put him in that position. i highly doubt damien will be selling out huge venues ever besides in places like cali, NY, and chicago.

i'm almost 100% sure damien is doing it this way because he just doesn't care. he is happy with what he has. i don't think we will EVER be able to find a logical reason to what he is doing.

GlttrGrrl 06-25-2006 08:33 AM

Report from LA show

Damien went on around 8...I got there after he was already on stage, so I'm not sure if he played any songs before I arrived. I read over on the other forum that he opened with Cannonball solo.

Here's what he played:
Delicate
Blower's Daughter Part II
Volcano
Rootless Tree
Some song I've never heard - it was mellow. It had the words accidental and baby, but it was not Accidental Babies (different lyrics). All I remember right now was a lyric like "I love your double chin" and "waking up without you is like drinking from an empty cup" or something like that
Me My Yoke and I
Blower's Daughter
I Remember

Short set, but he was really good. It really seems like it's his show and the rest of the band are just supporting players. My friend Grace said it always felt like that to her, but to me, it used to feel like a band.

I chatted with Shane for a little bit after the show. He said that Lisa will be back with the band for the New York shows - maybe that means the NY show and the Atlantic City gig and maybe gigs after that? He said she had prior commitments that kept her from doing the whole tour, and that Tomo's prior commitment is his baby :)

Damien blew Fiona out of the water even though she played at least twice as long. She appeared to be very angry, was screaming A LOT, and gave the impression that she has Tourette's Sydrome. She did not sound good for most of the show. Not excited to sit through that again tomorrow night.

carvinC980t_kid 06-26-2006 01:35 AM

u don't HAVE to stay for fiona. i'll prolly lave during her set, because the traffic after isn't worth staying for her.

thirsty 06-26-2006 09:18 AM

i fail to see what this has to do with new fanbases and such, the main point and its a worrying one is the blatant lack of new material, falling back on 'o' and 'new' songs from a couple of years ago is disapointng, its hardly challenging the audience either or damien himself for that that matter.

Spamlet 06-26-2006 09:37 AM

This is so far going happily just as I predicted. Looking at the corrected LA setlist we had:

cannonball
fool
face
delicate
the blower's daughter part 2
volcano
rootless tree
new "empty" song
me, my yoke, and i
the blower's daughter
I remember

and last night's:

Bottom Shelf
Volcano
Older Chests
Blowers Daughter 2
I remember
Woman Like a Man
Accidental Babies
Eskimo
???New song / cover ???
Blowers Daughter 1 (w/creep)

I can't believe anybody could be complaining about what he's playing! He gets a full hour (the most you can ever hope for from a featured act in a non co-headlining tour) he's playing at least 50% non-O material, he switches out 4 of the 10 songs, and on only the second night of the tour we've already got a never before heard song! Plus, I'm not sure if "new song" is another new one or the one from the LA gig. Now please tell me that someone is makin' boots during this tour!!! Especially of tonight's gig when he's the only performer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carvin,

Almost nothing you've said in any of your posts has made the slightest bit of logical sense to me. If Damien ONLY played for himself he wouldn't tour at all. I've met him and we talked at length. He's got ambitious plans for the next album. It is true though that he's not on anybody else's clock. That doesn't mean he's not working on putting out a new record. He just needs it to feel right and won't finish it til it does so stop trying to rush him (it's been a piece of cake for me to wait thus far but then, I'm a huge Gn'R fan).

Damien does want a bigger fan base. He's always said so. Again though, he'd much rather it took some time to grow organically rather than become the flavor of the week who's played incessantly and then forgotten about in a year or two. It's not so he can be a gazillionaire. Although I know lots of charities would benefit if he were. It's because he doesn't just write music for himself. He writes music for himself AND for everyone else who cares to listen. That's why he's a recording artist. He wants to share his work with us.

His position on the tour is surely not an indication of him having a huge American fan base. The bigger the headliner the more of a guarantee the audience will show up-no matter who else is on the bill. Fiona's probably a big fan of Damo's and wants more people to be. If I had her drawing power I'd want to ask my favorite largely overlooked artist to join me on tour too.

As for you making demands about when Damo should release his album or which setlist he should be playing: Just please STFU, stop constantly contradicting yourself and/or think before you post. You're obviously missing one of the things that makes him such a great live performer. If he played the same setlist every night that'd be no fun for him OR the true fans who get to experience wildly different shows from night to night.

I highly doubt the next album (unless it's a double) will have much more than a handful of songs which we haven't heard yet. I predict we'll see BD2, Fool, Didn't Take Long, Rootless, You Can, Grey Room, Insane, Tongue and possibly Sex Change and/or one-two other wildcards. Doesn't leave very much room for too many others if it's your typical 11-15 song release.

If I'm wrong about that tracklist I'll be thrilled either way but honestly Damo's already got tons of stuff that's unfamiliar to all but his diehards. How many new "new album" songs do you think there could be? It's more likely we'll get some which will be new to just us because they also either won't be: ever formally released, released for years to come, or will only end up as b-sides to singles.

Use some common sense, m' man, this stuff isn't rocket science. It's the entertainment business and it's both practical and logical.

Closing: Nope, I wish. As I said earlier, sadly I won't get to see him on this tour.

Closing_Doors 06-26-2006 09:53 AM

Did you meet him last night or were you referring to when you met him a couple of years ago?

mickey13086 06-26-2006 02:23 PM

It's a new area for me, and I'm sure it's new ground for a lot of us, and that area that I'm talking about is the fact that this "new material" isn't exactly new in the sense that we've never heard any version of it. BUT WHO THE HECK cares. Rootless Tree, in my opinion, is a brilliant song and I enjoy the not-so-great quality version that I have. Now if he were to release songs like this or Fool as studio quality and maybe changing it here and there, I would have no right to complain. Hell, how could I?

And think about concerts that you have been to, they play old and new stuff and Damien is doing that. Most of us don't know where he is at with new material. Maybe he isn't ready to introduce a lot of it, or maybe it's not ready to, and like Spamlet said, IT'S EARLY IN THE TOUR. I will pay money to see another 'O' concert. I travelled many hours to NYC to see him play 3 songs. And it was amazing. I for one, am looking forward to whatever he decides to play, and whatever he decides to put on the new album, albeit rootless tree, bd2, and everything else Spamlet said, or brand new material. I'll accept anything but a GnR cover album, haha, just kidding. I love their live version of the godfather theme. You have that Spamlet?

Bottom line, you have your opinion carvin, and I respect the urgency, but I for one believe and trust Damien Rice, the guy that we're ultimately talking about, will release a new album, and play what he feels is best for him and his fans. Think of it as a formula. He is going to be true to himself foremost because that's what makes DR, DR. I don't believe the mentality that he totally doesn't think of us or doesn't care, that's just ridiculous. Finding that balance is the key, and I think he is doing a good job of that.

Ashley 06-26-2006 07:00 PM

From the playlists I have seen, I am still real excited to see him. Its probably hard to keep the hardcore fans happy who have heard all of the stuff that's not on O, but isn't that kinda cool? We got a leg up on the others, we can enjoy all those songs and really get into them. Some people are not enjoying the mesh of the new band setup, but it is still so early in the tour.

Also, I was just browsing some other message baords, and it looks like he's already winning over fans from fiona. People who want to share in this music? you can't shake a stick at that

On a totally unrelated subject, I wanted to make a damien shirt for the gig I'm going to, Chicago. I thought it would be supportive; everyone else thinks it would be lame and taboo. Should I abandon my idea?

GlttrGrrl 06-26-2006 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spamlet
and last night's:

Bottom Shelf
Volcano
Older Chests
Blowers Daughter 2
I remember
Woman Like a Man
Accidental Babies
Eskimo
???New song / cover ???
Blowers Daughter 1 (w/creep)

First song was actually Sand - not sure who came up with "Bottom Shelf"

I'll report back tomorrow after tonight's show in Saratoga.

And as to this:
Quote:

Originally Posted by carvinC980t_kid
u don't HAVE to stay for fiona. i'll prolly lave during her set, because the traffic after isn't worth staying for her.

In some locations you don't have a choice because of this lovely thing called Stack Parking which means you can't leave until all the other cars that are parked around your car leaves...which means you are trapped, as I was at the Greek - would have left if I could. Fiona was better the second night.

Report more later...

Jasmine 06-27-2006 12:13 AM

oh sweet lord, i hope tonight's parking isn't deadly.

SisterMidnight 06-27-2006 12:22 AM

thanks for the updates valerie!

oooh im getting excited for the minnesota show now :smiley4:

carvinC980t_kid 06-27-2006 03:50 AM

eww glad the place i goto doesn't do stacked parking!!! that wouldn't be soo fun!

Ranting Thespian 06-27-2006 04:58 AM

I just want to say, most everyone I have ever brought up damien know his main songs - volcano, cannonball, blower's daughter, and cold water.
And I am in madison, WI.

They play him on the radio here. He started to become well known here around the same time Dave Matthews released Some Devil. It was funny, because whenever they would bring up Damien's album O they would have to differentiate it from Oh by Dave Matthews, since it was only audio. That might have helped it get out there, since everytime they would play Oh, they would say not to confuse it with O by Damien Rice, and vise-versa.

Personaly, I have never seen Damien even once, and I wouldn't like to see him twice performing the same songs I already know (expecially without lisa). I would be surprised if he played Volcano on this tour.

juliaann 06-27-2006 05:16 AM

Personaly, I have never seen Damien even once, and I wouldn't like to see him twice performing the same songs I already know (expecially without lisa). I would be surprised if he played Volcano on this tour.[/quote]

Umm I would suggest you not go to the show then :smiley22: