Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 03-21-2005, 08:26 PM   #1
noshorterthan3characters
Eskimo Friend

Default What is volcano about?

meh?

Also, has anyone ever seen damien sign a song without his guitar in hand, like the normal signer style?
noshorterthan3characters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 08:36 PM   #2
Jen de mighty
Dancin' eskimo

i actually dont know..but i have heard its about oral sex ("dont hold yourself like that, you'll hurt your knees..") i guess its about loving something even though you know its not good for you..like loving some chick even though she is making you miserable.."what i really need is what makes me bleed, like a true disease"..dunno really - im just waffling
Old 03-21-2005, 09:20 PM   #3
dizzy cannon
senseless eskimo

i dont think the volcano is about oral sex i think in his demo on the b-sides cd it says "dont hold my hand like that you'll hurt ur knees" at least thats what i thought i heard

"You're still reaching for the moon."
"No, father. The moon's reaching for me!"

myspace

dizzy cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 09:28 PM   #4
Jen de mighty
Dancin' eskimo

oh yeah..i forgot about that. nah i just heard the oral sex comment said in an off-hand kinda way and it amused me!!
Old 03-21-2005, 09:34 PM   #5
Bumpman

i've seen him sing cheers darlin' using the backing track from "O", he was holding a bottle of wine instead of his trusty guitar.

I'd love to know what volcano is about, it's one of the few songs of his that i just can't figure out.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:36 PM   #6
Rovena
what will you say?

I heard damien saying in an interview that volcano doesn't paint a pretty picture of a woman and then he went on saying to think about the part when he sings "don't hold yourself like,you'll hurt your knees"....Well, after he made that comment I can't deny that oral sex came to my head...

Rovena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 09:40 PM   #7
Miss Pink
Eskimo Regular

"volcano is about when ur really into a girl, and they're not that into you, any way u end up kissing them and she's like "oh sh*t".....so anyway time passes and you move on then there is this other girl, and she's really into you, but your not that into them, but u kiss them and then your like "oh sh*t"...anyway this song is aclled volcano"

He said that at some gig, i cant remember which 1
Old 03-21-2005, 09:43 PM   #8
Rovena
what will you say?

he said that in deceber 15, 2003 in his gig in Viscar St., Dublin...

Rovena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 09:44 PM   #9
Miss Pink
Eskimo Regular

aye he did i have it on cd
Old 03-21-2005, 09:48 PM   #10
minneken1911
Eskimo Regular

thanks, Miss Pink. that makes perfect sense.
minneken1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 09:49 PM   #11
Miss Pink
Eskimo Regular

your welcome.....its just makes every thing crystel clear doesnt it? lol
Old 03-22-2005, 02:32 AM   #12
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

i never got oral sex out that line at all... to me it always sounded like she was begging (for mercy? for him to love her back?) because her love for him was killing her... or in the original version from b-sides when he says 'don't hold my hand like that you'll hurt your knees' it almost sounds like a proposal situation... or i could be totally whacked too but the oral sex angle never even occurred to me.

my daughter thinks it's about venereal disease 'what i really need is what makes me bleed like a new disease' and he doesn't want to give it to her because shes 'still too young to treat' hmm...

i think the song is about being in love with someone but the situation is impossible, and building up your hopes and dreams and world around that person will only lead to getting hurt and self-destruction (volcanoes melt me down) and even though you know that you can't help loving the person anyway...
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 01:59 PM   #13
dizzy cannon
senseless eskimo

thats how i saw the song too i thought the song might have references of oral sex but i thought it was a lil two obvious and then when i heard b-sides i thought it was more of someone begging on their knees

for the venereal disease part thats just too funny

"You're still reaching for the moon."
"No, father. The moon's reaching for me!"

myspace

dizzy cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 02:08 PM   #14
Juzzza
Eskimo Regular

Dunno about the individual references like 'you'll hurt your knees' and stuff but I always took it that it's about knowing someone else feels more for you than you do for them and you feel kinda guilty about, like you KNOW you're hurting this person and you know you're being selfish but at the same time you are kind of being a coward and saying 'look how I am treating you.' hoping they will end it because you are too lazy or scared or selfish to do it yerself.

http://www.myspace.com/justinthorne
http://www.myspace.com/jtintheshadows
Juzzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 03:27 PM   #15
DRQuebec
Eskimo Regular

Sorry for bringing back this old post, but I definatly think volcano is about oral sex. If you take the word Volcano as an imagery for a penis... (which make sense, when you think of it... the lava being hmm. you know.), the rest of the song goes in this direction.

I think the girl is going far but Damien only want some affection or at least less than what she's giving him (Give me miles and miles of mountains and I'll ask for the sea)

Don't hold yourself like that
You'll hurt your knees (Don't Kneel)
I kissed your mouth and back
That's all I need (So why are you sucking me?)

Don't build your world around
Volcanoes melt you down (Don't build your world around penises, they melt you down)

What I am to you is not real
What I am to you, you do not need (to go that far)
What I am to you is not what you mean to me (you mean some affection)
Give me miles and miles of mountains and I'll ask for the sea

Don't throw yourself like that
In front of me (again, why are you so fast to this point)
I kissed your mouth your back
Is that all you need?

Don't drag my love around
Volcanoes melt me down (Our love is more than just sex, stop that, vocanoes melt you down)

My two cents... but it makes sense to me.

Man An Ocean
DRQuebec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 07:13 PM   #16
bjmo11
Eskimo Regular

when he says shes still to young to treat? whats treat mean? is it like an irish term or somthing? like treat her to something? i just dont know.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:55 PM   #17
eskimofan55
Eskimo Friend

"This is nothing new
No, no, just another phase of finding
what I really need
Is what makes me bleed
Like a new disease
But lord she's still too young to treat."

I'm assuming that she is the disease, metaphorically speaking. Thus the whole treatment aspect going on. Perhaps this girl is someone who he can have a deep affection for, love, etc. But he hasn't found that aspect in her. Too young to treat? The disease, or his new love, perhaps doesn't give him that feeling yet. Or ever will. Or maybe he's talking about the other girl he was in love with. Not sure.
eskimofan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 11:43 PM   #18
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmo11
when he says shes still to young to treat? whats treat mean? is it like an irish term or somthing? like treat her to something? i just dont know.

oh wow... i think i've had it wrong forever... honestly i thought that line was "Like a new desease, she's still too young to cheat" ... which made a lot of sense to me ....

I'm confused now!

"This place is a Gynocracy!"

repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern...
mariaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 12:10 AM   #19
Nine
Inuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariaoran
oh wow... i think i've had it wrong forever... honestly i thought that line was "Like a new desease, she's still too young to cheat" ... which made a lot of sense to me ....

I'm confused now!
she's a disease that he can't treat, because she is too young. i.e the disease hasn't developed enough yet to be treatable - he has to wait a while until it's at its worst point.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:21 AM   #20
bjmo11
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine
she's a disease that he can't treat, because she is too young. i.e the disease hasn't developed enough yet to be treatable - he has to wait a while until it's at its worst point.

disease-treat. duh i cant believe i didnt put that together. thanks nine.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:39 AM   #21
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Basically he's saying she's too young for sex
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 12:39 AM   #22
Nine
Inuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmo11
disease-treat. duh i cant believe i didnt put that together. thanks nine.
No problemo!
x
Old 08-23-2007, 01:35 AM
eskimofan55
This message has been deleted by eskimofan55.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:51 AM   #23
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

Well i understood the whole meaning of the sentence but for as long as i' ve heard that song i though it was cheat and not treat.... which makes more sense.... silly me !!!

"This place is a Gynocracy!"

repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern...
mariaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 05:10 AM   #24
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

I think Damien said the song was about someone "under age" so the 'to young to treat' line makes sense to me. Besides, the demo'97 version ends up with D singing the line 'she's too young for me'...

He explained the full song in LA last Dec (2nd night) with a lot of detail, he went almost line by line, verse by verse, talked like for 5 min. Pity it was not recorded cos I don't remember the exact words. Basically he said the song is about when two people in a relationship don't live it with the same intensity, are not commited in the same way to the relationship, the classical love/like situation. So in the first verse, he's the 'I like you' one, he likes the girl but he's there to have fun/sex, no commitment. But she's the opposite, she is the 'I love you' one, completely in love and seeing the guy as future husband and father of all her children. Here's where the original first line from the demo'97 ( Don't hold my hand like that) would make sense to me. Nothing about oral sex, the image I get is like if she was proposing to him...

Then goes the chorus, basically saying, I'm not what you're looking for, and you'll end up getting hurt if you expect of me what I'm not, if you ask me what I cannot give you and what I'm not ready to give (all the part about the mountains and the sea). I think a Volcano here is a metaphor for a person that is in a relationship for the fun side of it but with no commitment and no thoughts of a future...

Then in the second verse the whole situation changes. He dumps the girl from the first verse, but then he mets this amazing new girl and falls completely for her, and it's all about attraction and he's completely in love... but she's not He explained this part in a very funny way, he explained how he was texting her, sending her messages, and she was responding but only 'because she's nice'.
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 11:25 PM   #25
Lindsay
Eskimo Regular

here's a description about volcano.....I think this was posted in the storyteller thread....is this the one you were refering to borneoman http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSeOLK5gH14

hehe....I should probably stay out of threads like this .......but I very vaguely remember an interview or show or something.... and Damien was saying that the girl just started college...or he was in college and she wasn't....or something like that, that she was quite young.
Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote